Our motto – “Those who are different, are also equal”
The Yated association was founded by a group of parents of children with Down Syndrome from Jerusalem in the beginning of the 1980’s. Their primary goal was to prevent the abandonment of newborns with DS in the hospitals and provide the parents with reliable information about raising children with DS.
The ultimate goal of Yated today is to provide children and adults with DS with the ability to live normal lives within their local Israeli communities. Our goal is for every person with DS to grow up with his parents, relatives and neighbors. A child with DS, like any other child, needs a loving and supporting family. We believe that if children with DS are given the opportunity to live and grow up within communities, supporting their full inclusion, they will be able to live independent, challenging and interesting lives. We also believe that a person born with development disabilities has a right to enjoy a regular childhood and positive experiences in his/her life with regards to education, leisure and lifestyle in the community he/she belongs to (be it secular, orthodox, Arab, Circassian or Druze).
An adult with DS has the right to live in a community, supporting his/her full inclusion, go out to the movies and shopping malls, take classes in the community center, make friends both with ‘typical’ people and people with special needs, establish a family if s/he can and wants to, and work in a challenging and interesting workplace while getting all the required support according to his/her needs.
- Pension from Israeli Social Security service for families of the kids with DS.
- Obtaining an inclusion package and auxiliary services for each child with DS attending a regular school.
- Providing families with information about raising a person with DS with regards to education, medical needs and therapy.
- Legal protection of the rights of children and adults with DS.
- Explaining the development profile of children and adults with DS to education, medical and therapy professionals.
- Preventing discrimination of people with DS by working with Israeli authorities in the name of the families.
- Promotion of creative and innovative programs for education and employment of people with DS.
- Bringing to Israel and translating to Hebrew up-to-date scientific studies from abroad – see “Articles” section of this web-site.
- Arranging both Israeli and international conferences for parents of people with DS.
For additional information in English, please contact Adina Rabinowitz at